Omeka + Scripto — Installation and Configuration
- Download the most recent version of the plugin and unzip the file to your desktop;
- Using an FTP client, upload the unzipped plugin directory to your server and place it inside the Omeka plugin/ directory;
- Log in to your Omeka admin interface, navigate to the Settings ->Plugins page, and click on the “Install” button next to Scripto;
- Configure the plugin (see below);
- Download and install MediaWiki.
- MediaWiki API URL: URL to your MediaWiki installation API.
- Image viewer: Select an image viewer to use when transcribing image files. OpenLayers and Zoom.it can display JPEG, PNG, GIF, and BMP formats. Zoom.it can also display TIFF and ICO formats. By using Zoom.it you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to the Microsoft Zoom.it Terms of Service.
- Use Google Docs Viewer?:Use Google Docs Viewer when transcribing document files? Document files include PDF, DOC, PPT, XLS, TIFF, PS, and PSD formats. By using this service you acknowledge that you have read and agreed to the Google Docs Viewer Terms of Service.
- Import type: Import transcriptions as HTML or plain text? Importing will copy document and page transcriptions from MediaWiki to their corresponding items and files in Omeka. Choose HTML if you want to preserve formatting. Choose plain text if formatting is not important.
- Home page text: Enter text that will appear on the Scripto home page. Use this to display custom messages to your users, such as instructions on how to use Scripto and how to register for a MediaWiki account. Default text will appear if nothing is entered. You may use HTML. (Wrapping paragraph tags recommended.)